Sunday, May 27, 2007

good dog


5 AM today something came after the hens and the ruckus was pretty intense--Dozer plunging into the blackberry jungle out back, belting out a steady high-alert bark. Her this-is-serious-fun bark. I ran out there half-dressed with a baseball bat thinking I might have to whup on a raccoon. One thing you don't want is your dog in a dustup with coons in the middle of a blackberry patch, that is for sure. The birds were okay and Dozer eventually came out of the thicket covered with mud and misty rain. I konked out again once the adrenaline ran its course.

We had a really good show at The White Eagle in Portland w/ Tractor Operator and The Crosswalks. Ryan and I picked up the new cd's at Nettleingham Audio in Vancouver--always a great ritual. The new studio Kevin and Shelly are building is underway, looked like the foundation was poured or ready to be poured. The cd looks sharp, Dave did a fantastic job on the art. On the way home I got the cd stocked at Ranch Records in Salem and CD World in Eugene.

I finished the Lee Child book--it was rugged and a neatly plotted, deliberate, heavy-punching kind of thriller. I started a mystery by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza called Southwesterly Wind. He's a Brazilian writer and so far I'm really enjoying it--like Camilleri's Inspector Montalbano, Inspector Espinoza is cerebral and eccentric, kind of at two with life much of the time in an oddball way. Kind of waiting for the oblique insight while being somewhat absent otherwise. I'm into international literary thrillers as a form of armchair travel writing--Camilleri, Van De Wettering, Henning Mankell.

I'm on season 3 of The Wire. What a fantastic show. Stringer Bell and Avon Barksdale just had a major showdown. As close as TV gets to Shakespeare.
Post a Comment