Friday, May 2, 2008


Today my Royals optimism faltered a little bit...I was talking to my friend Jake about the construction worker who tried to bury a Red Sox jersey in the foundation of the new Yankee Stadium. And then I made this joke: "I guess if you wanted to lay a curse on the Royals you'd bury a...a...a (sob)...a Royals jersey." I took it back right away but there it is, I said it. Arghhhh!!!!!! I never thought I'd miss Emil Brown occasional power, or Mike Sweeney's touchy lower back. Arghhhh!

Anyway, the bats will pick up--I said my optimism faltered, not that I have given up on my team.

I'm still really digging Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I didn't realize that it is a frame story based on the structure of The Canterbury Tales until I read up on it. Cool stuff, Maynard.

Many listens this week to the greatly underrated Flaming Lips album Hear It Is. Fond memories of going to Pennylane Records in KC and getting the good word from the Reverend Dwight Frizzell about this show...by this band...the greatest garage band of all time, you gotta check them out...from Oklahama...and he pulled out the first EP with the melty blobs on the front...but anyway Hear It Is always reminds me of running around with Steve Tulipana in the burbs of KC and throwing spoiled butterball turkeys off of railroad trestles and stoopid stuff like that. I think there's continuity from the damaged stuff on this record through the ethereal mega-positivity of the recent records. Just love that basic guitar/bass/drums and hollering, songs about trains, drugs, rain, etc.
Post a Comment