Sunday, September 9, 2018

NEW LISTENS, MORAL TALES, AND MARINARA



I checked out The Epic by Kamasi Washington, finally, and it lives up to the name.  If you go for the full immersion and really listen for the entire span it will move your energy to new places.
 


Here Lies Man is one of those hybrids that comes along after you think every hybrid has been done: a Tony-inspired collision, meaning Tony Allen and Tony Iommi, resulting in really cool afro-sludgey groove music. I like it. If I went to Burning Man it would be my jam, but I don't, so I will listen to it while I organize the garage. 


I was pretty much astonished by this album by Karine Polwart. I came to it cold without the back story and got pulled into a storytelling concept album derived from a show,  while driving to Guitar Center to buy a new mic stand.  God knows the strip malls of Johnson County need more mystery and poetry and sphagnum.


Yesterday was kind of a recharge day, so I watched one of Eric Rhomer's Moral Tales,  La Collectionneuse.  Young folks smoking alot, with their heads up their asses, on vacation, talking ideas and hooking up--very funny stuff.

I also made marinara sauce out of the epic batch of late-summer romas we have in the garden.  It is literally hard to get a hand into the thicket of vines to pick them--like a jungle of tomatoes.  It cooked all day but I learned that if you don't remove the skins, your sauce will be full of chewy, fibery strands, so I had to strain it three times, resulting in a nice thin sauce that was the best I've ever made.