Thursday, February 20, 2020

EXCERPT FROM JOURNAL FROM (5) YEARS AGO



2.20.15

I worked for quite a while on The Concave Man last night, adding a vocal track from a fragment I wrote down in my notebook a while back.  It's unique for me, something driven by a really simple, monotonous keyboard part and some keyboard percussion.  I have been listening to a bunch of Robert Wyatt lately and Scott Walker is always an inspiration for going completely deep into an exposed, naked idea, even if I don't actually listen to Scott Walker all that much.  David Sylvian as well, though he is more polished than both of those artists.  I read a really cool Wyatt article yesterday over lunch, he is an interesting guy.  I had a weird roommate in college who loved The Soft Machine but I could never relate to it, nor Zappa, nor Beefheart, at that age. 

Let's hear it for the concave man
caving in as part of his plan
he gets no credit for accommodating
the pressures of pragmatic relating

concave man
concave man
some think they are the flame
then they flash in the pan

let's hear it for the concave man
driving rain gathers now and again
convex, converse, inside and reverse
the footing poured and funding disbursed

who's cheering for the concave man?
caving in as part of his plan
hair growing thin, and just a few sins
the note to self, the thickening skin