Sunday, March 21, 2021

TENTACLES #8 - TEN QUESTIONS WITH JORDAN DEAN

Jordan Dean is a sculptor, maker, and prop/costume artist in KCMO.

1. If you could throw a party, who would cook or cater, what would the menu be, what three bands would play, and where would it be? 

I have always wanted to see a show live at Red Rocks so I'd book a party there. There would be enough Imo's pizza to feed an army and to top it of would be a dream lineup of The Presidents of the United States of America, Flogging Molly and Bad Religion! 

2. What's your current creative project or projects? What do you want folks to know about it? 

I've recently launched my own sculpture business, Steele Haven 3d. My first contract is a whopping 8' tall college mascot. I'm unable to divulge more details at this time, but it is an absolute pleasure to have finally taken the plunge and begun to reap the benefits of my creativity. 

3. What's a brick and mortar business you've always wanted to work at, something you'd even do for free?  

I've always dreamed of owning an indoor putt-putt course! The course would be elaborate and pun based with custom sculpture packed in at every turn! 

4. What does your ideal creative day look like? 

I'm a big fan of blasting a great tune on my headphones just as the sun starts to shine in the morning, while I get that first cup of coffee. That's when I'm truly ready to make something fun! 

5. What’s your favorite record right now? 

Human Design by Birds of Tokyo. This album dropped last year and I don't know how I'd have gotten through 2020 without it. It really resonated with me and helped me through some truly unsettling circumstances. 

6. What's the last book you wanted to buy 100 copies of and pass out to friends? 

Anarchy Evolution by Dr. Greg Graffin He is not only my favorite front man (Bad Religion), but also an inspiring scientist, professor and writer. 

7. It’s a hot summer night and there’s beer in the cooler. What movie would you most like to show in your back yard or on a wall in a public space? 

It's a tough call but I'd do a double feature of the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and The Dark Crystal. 

8. How do you take care of your creative practice and stay inspired and energized? 

Its never been easier, via social media, to find inspiring artists in the world. My feed is constantly full of amazing works of art from friends, family and complete strangers. The true challenge is not let the immense talents and accomplishments of others give you pause or reluctance to make your own mark. Setting aside time in your routine to be creative is always a win no matter if that work ends up in a trash can or in a museum. If it makes you feel good or helps you cope, it's worth the time in my book. 

9. What made you laugh the hardest this week? 

Definitely watching my 2 year old walk around the house with a laundry basket on her head. 

10. How would you have handled winning the recent ONE BILLION DOLLAR powerball jackpot? 

My wife is a teacher, so we would probably buy an old school house and revamp it into a non-for-profit learning center!