Sunday, September 8, 2013

SLOW JOGGING KC STYLE


One of the first things I did in the first couple of days here was get some tips on running trails.  Three days in the car competing for Trader Joe's Snacker of The Year required that I do so.  I have gone a couple of times to Mill Creek Park, which has a mile-loop resalite/asphalt trail, with this iconic KC fountain at one end.  I got my butt kicked today with a late start on a hot day so I walked the last mile.

   
The mill theme continued up the hill in Westport with a trip to Mills Record Company, which is totally stacked, and guaranteed to challenge one's fiscal restraint.  I picked up a Junior Kimbrough record, All Night Long.  Art Westport was happening, too.  My favorite booth was a cut paper art studio called Rural Pearl.  Throw in some coffee and people watching at Broadway Cafe and the new James Lee Burke on my smart phone Kindle app, and it was a nice Sunday morning.

“You grow up, you grow old. Who wants to do that? Relax. Think cool thoughts and don’t eat fried foods. You know who said that? Satchel Paige. Everything is very copacetic. You got my word on that.” (Clete Purcell)

Burke, James Lee (2013-07-23). Light of the World: A Dave Robicheaux Novel (p. 79). Simon & Schuster. Kindle Edition.