Wednesday, January 28, 2015

NEW "SLAB" PROPORTIONED LITTLE DEBBIE NUTTY BARS


The width of Little Debbie Nutty Bars has increased by at least a half inch.  The price is also up to 75 cents.  I suspect any perceived increase in consumer value will be disproved by cost-per-ounce metrics. 


At first, this "slab" or "shock plate" or "raft" style Nutty Bar struck me as a positive innovation. Any anxiety about scarcity or even mortality should be calmed by a snack proportioned with such abundance.  If, once or twice a year, I grab a package of (2) Nutty Bars, it's the same as it ever was, just bigger. 

Then, I began to feel pangs for the old size, and its affordable 25 cent price point.  And I began to feel something like anger.  I don't want to overanalyze it.  Things change, I know--but this?  And I have not yet addressed the other "new kid in town," the Double Decker Oatmeal Creme Pie.

I'll close with a screenshot of a text I shared with a friend who knows snacks better than I.  This is how wildfire starts, Little Debbie.