Saturday, August 15, 2015

RUNNING WHEREVER RATHER THAN IN CIRCLES


Rock and roll update: I went to bed pretty early last night after reading some more of Justine by Lawrence Durrell and making grilled cheese sandwiches.  I went running, down Tracy Avenue past Rockhurst, over to Paseo and up 55th, all the way to the trolley trail.  I'm not quite sure how long it was, probably 2.5 to 3 miles.  I was plodding along and there's always that moment when you're like, well, I've run this far and I need to run back, so f*** it, I'm kind of locked in here unless I call a cab.  As opposed to running X number of familiar laps and knowing exactly how far you're going.  I'm getting more into the former mode, exploring more.  I run so slow, there is plenty to see.  

There was a counter-productive bag of potato chips in the cupboard when I got home to go with the grilled cheese, which had turkey, olive tapenade, and fresh basil on it.  Also a fragment of my neighbor Orien's amazing blueberry pie on the counter; a can of beer in the fridge.   These are really tremendous privileges if you stop and think about it.

My Spotify playlist Songs for Walking and Running continues to grow.  Last night while running west from Paseo on 55th it coughed up the greatest triple shot:

Rites of Spring - Spring
Donna Lewis - I Love You Always Forever
Steve Wynn - The Ambassador of Soul