Thursday, February 11, 2016

COLLAGE PARTY

My friends Gaye and Catherine put together a collage session Saturday and it was really fun. I spent most of my time on one collage. Then I followed up with a fake album cover by the non-existent southern fried art rock band Beauty of the Ozarks  for their ever-evolving EP Civil War Cave.  I finished with a before-its-time 1876 business card by Colonel Zebulon Teal, the Missouri bootheel's first incorporated weed dealer.  

It was great gathering around a big messy dining room table with scissors and glue in a beautiful home, especially in my home town, with old friends.



 ***


I listened to Herbie Hancock's autobiography on Audible and really couldn't have enjoyed it more.  Exploring his discography has been really cool.

“There is no such thing as art," he said. "There is only this painting, this piece of music, that sculpture. And it either resonates with you or it doesn't." He paused for a moment and then added, "There is no such thing as art, there are only works."

... In those two moments, Antonioni taught me something profound.”
Herbie Hancock, Herbie Hancock: Possibilities