Sunday, June 19, 2016

KC WEEKEND REPORT. LEAVING OUT THE SANDWICH I HAD AT GATES YESTERDAY AND MY NEIGHBOR DAN'S RADICAL PIZZA PARTY


We of SquidsKC had an enjoyable show at Californo's Friday night.  We have been playing the same set for some time but on this night something about the old birch trees and twinkly lights brought out weirdness.  The minimum thing a band can do is practice regularly enough to channel a batch of songs through a conduit of some kind.  If you are patient with this and not disheartened by lack of fame or fortune, enjoying friendship and ritual, you can leave the conduit (Brush Creek, guttering, galvanized pipe, perforated French drain, whatever) and weird indigo sparkle fish begin jumping in a more authentic alluvial environment. 

  
I captained an AHA Heartwalk 5K team at work but had a run-in with a posthole digger a week ago and found myself on the living room floor thinking I might just sleep there because it was too painful to get up.  Total low back lock up with shooting leg pains.  Chiropractor Dr. Jennifer Forbes in North Kansas City helped me get upright again but I couldn't run the race, total bummer!  Still, I went down and enjoyed the festivities and saw the team off.  You can still donate here.

Now we are off to Boulevardia to see The English Beat and Soul Asylum with our pal Logan, whom we met through Big Brothers and Big Sisters of KC.  A really great weekend in this city that I love being reunited with.

***

Tracy and I were lucky to see the U.S. Poet Laureate Juan Filipe Herrera at the downtown library a few weeks ago.  Poetry, bilingual performance, audience participation--FUN.


 ***

I will continue to advocate for military grade everything, in all walks of life, for all people, so I'll sign off now, my MRE brunch is ready.