Tuesday, March 19, 2019

THE BIG 5-0


Thanks to this wonderful partner and best pal I have had a super supreme epic 50th birthday trip.  Amazing and revitalizing.  Yesterday we made our way around Prospect Park, then took the subway to Jackson Heights and walked up through Corona to Chinatown in Flushing.


  
A friend recommended Dumpling Galaxy and it is a galaxy I will enjoy visiting again.  (These are pork and hot pepper dumplings.) We were wowed by Jackson Heights, Corona, and Flushing, among the many neighborhoods we have walked.





Seemed a momentous enough day to put one of my favorite designs on the outside at Smith Street Tattoo Parlour (thanks Frank for adding some detail and structure to this).  It took many years of circling around many designs to land on one and it had to stick for a while.  I did it in the spirit of learning, being more direct, putting my stuff out there, preparing artful display and presentation (dashing off a blog doesn't count) in whatever I do whether it is music, writing, art, or a decent grilled cheese sandwich.  One of our guidelines at work is to be both humble and hungry--I like this.  At 50, maybe you've done a few things, but done is done, watch out or you'll get a fork stuck in you.



I've been thinking of my ma today (here pictured with my niece and great nephew)--she saw me do 48 rotations.  And thinking of mentors and teachers at all ages and phases.  I find them everywhere, every day, though I am lucky to know a few close ones.


What birthday would be complete without moseying along and stopping to read a book?  Man I love this series and then I heard Cotterill has decided to end it and put his energies full time into cartooning and illustration.  Hey why not.

I also hit a couple of record stores.