Saturday, November 16, 2019

FUN


I'll be having a little reception at FM Vintage Music in NKC tonight at 5:00 til 7:00 for the art show that's up this month.  It is tripping me out that this is happening, but Faron asked so I went for it.  I've scratched away at visual art for a while, chimping away on my low-budget phone filters, doodling, cartooning, painting (takes forever, no instant gratification there).



My goal before going to the store for reception snacks for tonight was to install two new gooseneck lights over the back patio.  But the existing lights are lit with exterior wire runs that require a sconce box on the wall.  That makes the goosenecks stick out a couple of inches, and conflict with the eaves overhead.  So I have to add wire to lower the sconce boxes, and paint the sconce boxes bronze.  They are cheap and paint-spattered aluminum.  

This all makes me think of Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.  I've never really started a house project that was neatly or quickly or skillyfully results-oriented, and much of the satisfaction comes from slowing down and thinking "well, I wish I was in Philly, but I'm in Akron and I've got to enjoy Akron before I enjoy figuring out how to get to Philly."  

So I guess I need to be sure I splice in the correct heavy-guage wiring in order to lower the sconce box a foot or so, and that's going to look shitty so maybe I'll need to rewire quite a ways back from this location to hide the splice, or just give it a good pull.