Sunday, February 28, 2021

TENTACLES # 5 - 10 QUESTIONS WITH ED COLE

PHOTO BY DAVE CLARK

 

Ed Cole is a singer-songwriter, guitarist, organic produce mogul and hen-whisperer.  He lives in Vancouver, Washington. I met Ed about 25 years ago when I was a cook and he was bringin' the onions.  He introduced me to the music of Robyn Hitchcock, The Wipers, Johnny Thunders, 4-track recording, being in a band, and so much more.  I treasure all of our jams over the years but even more so our friendship.

1. If you could throw a party, who would cook or cater, what would the menu be, what three bands would play, and where would it be? 

If I were to throw a party, it would be a Mexican feast with my wife Tina as chef. Carnitas tacos, roasted peppers, guacamole, tortillas and many side dishes, pineapples and melons and a big piñata. Entertainment would be provided by Kid Congo Powers and the Pink Monkey Birds followed by a funky jam of MONONEON and friends, finished out with a hammering techno set by Peaches. 

2. What's your current creative project or projects? What do you want folks to know about it?

TROUBLE CUTS is my band, we've been working on a full-length release during Covid, recording in isolation for the most part and trading tracks. It will be 10 songs, as yet untitled but 90% finished. Little Ears is my band with my wife Tina. I record my own music and release songs randomly on my Bandcamp and Soundcloud pages. 


3. What's a brick and mortar business you've always wanted to work at, something you'd even do for free? 

Record store clerk. 

4. What does your ideal creative day look like? 

Wake up early, make coffee and scribble in my notebook. Feed the chickens some worms. Breakfast with my family. Go to the basement to work on songs til lunchtime, go on a walk or bike ride or hike, come home and make dinner and then jams with my friends in the evening. 

5. What’s your favorite record right now? 

Rolling Stones: Between the Buttons 

6. What's the last book you wanted to buy 100 copies of and pass out to friends? 

Mark Lanegan: Read Backwards and Weep, harrowing but a great read, one of the best rock biographies of late. 

7. It’s a hot summer night and there’s beer in the cooler. What movie would you most like to show in your back yard or on a wall in a public space? 

How about Purple Rain on a big sound system. 

8. How do you take care of your creative practice and stay inspired and energized? 

When I get too messy I clean my space; when my space is too clean I let it get messy. I sometimes need piles of papers and incomplete ideas all over the place to get in the creative state of mind. If I lose interest on one song or project, I can push it to the side and work on another idea for a while. Sometimes I practice guitar or drums all the time; other times I write entirely on paper and don't play much at all - change is my only constant. I read and listen to a lot of different music, read the paper - make sure there is always something flowing into my brain so I can digest it and regurgitate later. 

9. What made you laugh the hardest this week? 

My chickens 

10. How would you have handled winning the recent ONE BILLION DOLLAR powerball jackpot? 

I would push it to the side and try not to think about it too much, make some coffee, go on a walk.