Sunday, February 7, 2021

TENTACLES #3 - TEN QUESTIONS WITH ALEX ALEXANDER

 


Alex Alexander is a Kansas City musician, artist, and web designer.  His architecture photos on Instagram are also great, so I'd say he is photographer, too.  He was raised in KC but is European by temperament and would make a great ambassador.  He plays guitar in The Band That Fell To To Earth, Slights, and Men of Men.  He also plays keyboards in Emmeline Twist. Alex is a lifetime member of The Squids and played on the album We Live In A World That Is Out Of This World. Most importantly perhaps, for many years he has mentored the elusive and enigmatic lead guitarist of Drop A Grand, White n' Sh*tty.

1. If you could throw a party, who would cook or cater, what would the menu be, what three bands would play, and where would it be? 

Oh, how I miss a party. I eat vegetarian so there would be plenty of veggie-friendly food, catered by my favorite Mexican place, Rudy's. Because of lockdown, we'd need a nice day and an outdoor venue. I'd call on friends to play, like The Band That Fell To Earth, Heidi Phillips, Various Blonde, etc. Or maybe ask the weirdos in Drop A Grand to stop by.

 2. What's your current creative project or projects? 
What do you want folks to know about it? 

Slights is writing and rehearsing new material right now. We plan to record soon if we can work out the social-distancing logistics of being in the studio. I also play guitar in Men Of Men, and we hope to kick off another concert season at Lemonade Park this spring - stay tuned. Art is another one of my passions, I've been doing life drawings for many years. I stopped attending live classes during the pandemic, so I'm finding other ways to draw without a model. It's a challenge because drawing from a photograph uses a completely different part of the brain, but it's good exercise. I'll resume live life drawing post-vaccination.

3. What's a brick and mortar business you've always wanted to work at, something you'd even do for free?

A museum. Preferably with inspiring galleries and architecture.

4. What does your ideal creative day look like? 

It starts by drawing at home with natural sunlight. During lockdown I've recognized how important the sun is to me. Then later a rehearsal with bandmates, perhaps writing an exciting and infectious song that stays in my head for a day or two.

5. What’s your favorite record right now? 

LNZNDRF, a project of the two brothers from The National, have a new record out called II that's awesome. I've also been listening to La Bien Querida from Spain, and Billie Eilish, whose voice I find mesmerizing.

6. What's the last book you wanted to buy 100 copies of and pass out to friends? 

I have so much trouble finishing books! I'm currently reading Johnny Marr's biography, which is quite good.

7. It’s a hot summer night and there’s beer in the cooler. What movie would you most like to show in your back yard or on a wall in a public space? 

Ha, this reminds me of when we watched The Holy Mountain outside with our buddy Steve last year. Let's make it an annual thing! 

8. How do you take care of your creative practice and stay inspired and energized? 

This is so relevant right now. Coronavirus has taken a toll on creatives, and I'm still trying to find inspiration among the isolation and monotony. I look outward for inspiration, across disciplines. I'm highly influenced by design and architecture, and I think that seeps into my brain when I'm playing music, drawing, or designing a website. And traveling, of course. I love the feeling of being thousands miles from home, looking at the world from a different perspective. It's exhilarating.

9. What made you laugh the hardest this week? 

Hmm, probably a moment of silliness while talking on the phone with my dearest friend 

10. How would you have handled winning the recent ONE BILLION DOLLAR powerball jackpot? 

It's hard to say, but I'd likely be overwhelmed. It's an enormous responsibility, wealth of that magnitude. I find money and finance extremely boring, so I'd dread dealing with all the annoying meetings with lawyers and financial planners. I'd set up a foundation, because you obviously can't spend that much money. I would love the ability to travel and live abroad for months at a time, though.