Sunday, February 21, 2021

TENTACLES # 4 - 10 QUESTIONS WITH KRISTIN THOMPSON CONKRIGHT


Kristin Thompson Conkwright is a KCMO musician, philosopher, Royals fan, and legal professional.  She plays bass in Emmaline Twist, whose most recent gothy dream-pop LP Dissimulation, was released on Black Site Records in 2018.

1. If you could throw a party, who would cook or cater, what would the menu be, what three bands would play, and where would it be? 

I think a pretty fun party would be in the Hutchison Salt Mines, catered by Willy Wonka, with music by David Byrne, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, and George Michael. 

2. What's your current creative project or projects? What do you want folks to know about it? 

Emmaline Twist, the band I play bass in, has some new songs we are impatient to get to work on. We haven’t been getting together because of COVID, but hopefully that will change soon. I’m super thrilled because we get to play an outdoor gig in April. I miss playing live, it seems like it was all a dream, Also, I have been working at playing guitar and may have something new that comes out of that soon. 

3. What's a brick and mortar business you've always wanted to work at, something you'd even do for free? 

A farm or maybe a greenhouse. I guess that's not really "brick and mortar". 

4. What does your ideal creative day look like? 

First thing, doing artist pages in the morning. Then puttering in the house or yard. I think the curation of one's environment is a creative act. Followed by working on some music, reading a bit, maybe cooking something new. And top it off with a band practice playing music with friends. 

5. What’s your favorite record right now? 

AC/DC Back in Black

6. What's the last book you wanted to buy 100 copies of and pass out to friends? 

Different books for different friends. Thoe most recent books I gifted were a Pema Chodron book and Dan Rather's new book. I need some fiction recommendations. 

7. It’s a hot summer night and there’s beer in the cooler. What movie would you most like to show in your back yard or on a wall in a public space? 

Generally speaking, I don’t like movies. I know that’s weird. But a backyard party with a Royals game on a big screen sounds like heaven on this cold February day. 

8. How do you take care of your creative practice and stay inspired and energized? 

Historically, I have not taken good care of stying creative and inspired. I think the pandmic has forced me to try to create better habits. When it is warm enough, getting up and taking a long walk first thing in the morning really changes everything. Getting good sleep is vital. And then, trying to stay curious and teachable. For me, these things are the foundation. 

9. What made you laugh the hardest this week? 

Matt Brahl. He's always saying things. 

10. How would you have handled winning the recent ONE BILLION DOLLAR powerball jackpot? 

I handled it very discreetly.