Sunday, April 11, 2021

TENTACLES #11: 10 QUESTIONS WITH TERRIANNE GOULD

 

Terrianne Gould is a musician in Detroit, Michigan.  She is a member of Shallow Stairs and Angel of Mars.

1. If you could throw a party, who would cook or cater, what would the menu be, what three bands would play, and where would it be? 

TG: Ooooh! Can I pretend I'm a baller and involve some kind of steampunkass time machine? New Little India in Shelby Township. For starters, Veggie Samosas. Garlic Naan. Chana Massala. Vegetable Kurma. Mala Kofta....I have to stop. I'm drooling! I'd want to throw it at The Grande Ballroom and have Hawkwind, Gong and The Pretty Things playing the entire S.F Sorrow album. 

2. What's your current creative project or projects? What do you want folks to know about it?

TG: I have been writing songs for Shallow Stairs since late 2017. We started out as a four piece but as of 2019, we've been a three piece working on new material. Bandmates are Rev Dave Wallice, (drums) Andrew Gould (bass and guitar) Myself (guitar, keys and vocals). Shallow Stairs is my dear Family. We have two ep's available for either purchace or free listening on pretty much all online sources. Two videos that can be seen on youtube as well. We've been told we're postpunk but I have no idea what that means. Sounds like a kids cereal promising a prize, only to find a rock in a wraper. 

The other project is a sort of doom band called Angel Of Mars. I had been wanting to write songs in C Standard tuning for many years and I am so happy to be in this project with these amazing people. Not only are they so talented but they are my dear friends. (My Husband Andy G being my best friend of coarse ha.) My bandmates are Rich Hartwick (bass) Angelina Manly (drums) Andrew Gould (lead guitar) Myself (guitar, keys, vocals)
We put out two separate 2 song ep's last year, which was a challenge. The pandemic hit and we had to go into the studio separately. 

While I had written "Siren In Scorpio" and "Dance Of The Luminous Crone" for this project I love how it had been a group effort in the creative writing process. Rich came up with these amazing catchy riffs. I just love coming up with ways to sing and play around them. The songs "Solstice Rising" and "Through The Looking Glass" are examples of this. We're all very much looking forward to getting together to create more and plan on putting out a full album as soon as possible. You can find and either purchace or listen for free these ep's on all onling sources.

3. What's a brick and mortar business you've always wanted to work at, something you'd even do for free?  

TG: Haha! Well. Hmm...My Husband and I have a vision of opening a shop that sells coffee and tea along with crystals, books, energy healing, tarot, herbs, organic instruments etc...Have poetry night. Local band spotlight night. Meditaion. Sound healing.Drum circles. Ce5 contact (in that order) haha...All that great stuff. Why not? Sure we would sell stuff to stay alive but obviously, the meditaions and ce5 contact group would be free free free.... 

 4. What does your ideal creative day look like? 

TG: Wake up. Coffee. Prayer, Mantra, Meditation. Play an instrument of choice for an hour. Journal. (Sometimes in-between that a song will happen) Paint. Hike and find a cool hiking stick so I can pretend I'm a Wizard. Make shapes in leaves and clouds. Find inspiration through animals, nature, people, objects. 

5. What’s your favorite record right now? 

TG: oooh not fair. Too many equally cool to me but I must say King Buffalo "Orion" and Heilung "Futha" have been on regular rotation. 

6. What's the last book you wanted to buy 100 copies of and pass out to friends? 

TG: Please Kill Me by Legs McNeill 

7. It’s a hot summer night and there’s beer in the cooler. What movie would you most like to show in your back yard or on a wall in a public space? 

TG: Close Encounters Of The Fifth Kind: Contact Has Begun (They can have the beer. I haven't had a drink in almost 9 years. April 14th 2012) 

 8. How do you take care of your creative practice and stay inspired and energized? 

TG: The answer to number 4 but of coarse I don't do that all in one day even though I would love to. I try to keep myself challenged a little bit. I practice as much as I can. i really try and play an intrument for at least 15min a day, which sometimes turnes into longer or not at all. I don't beat myself up about days missed though. Sometimes my day job completely destroys my energy and I just want to eat and sleep when I get home but for the most part I try to practice journaling and meditation. those two things along with playing guitar, drums, keys, flute, harmonica or whatever I feel like, helps me stay creative. 

 9. What made you laugh the hardest this week? 

TG: My husband asking me to have sex. (jk) (well, sort of) 

10. How would you have handled winning the recent ONE BILLION DOLLAR powerball jackpot? 

TG: I would give a ton of money to family and friends. Move into a house in the mountains. Dance naked. Probably finally buy a Mellotron. Tell my day job ""uh, buh by"" After that, I would have to live it one day at a time as I have been. I would also help out every musician I know and love financially with their music.