Wednesday, May 9, 2012

is that the sun?

This is not my bathing cap.  I don't wear one.  But if I decide to, this might be it.
Last night I went swimming at the D.A.C., about fifty minutes of laps in the poolSwimming has replaced running in my routine for the time being.  It's kind of a pain to drive somewhere, get suited up, deal with the initial cold shock of the water, etc but once I am done it is inevitably worth the time and effort.  We have had a few days of sunshine in Eugene and I noticed how much more energy I've had--bike commuting without alot of debate about whether to drive, and then following that up with a swim.  The overcast weather definitely has a heavy impact on my brain chemistry.

After enjoying The Accidental Connoisseur by Lawrence Osborne, I moved on to the fourth Harry Bosch novel (The Last Coyote) by Michael Connelly.  It's on the Kindle--I've been alternating physical books with E-books and like both modes.  I'm still in one-book-at-a-time mode.  I relish the anticipation of choosing a new book, and the closure of finishing one.  It's a minor kind of closure in a world where closure is seldom clean.  I also seem to read more that way.  I also read more now that I have sold or donated much of the library I used to haul around. 

I can't wait to get the new Richard Hawley.  Along with the new Off! and Lee Ranaldo's solo album, it's the no-debate, I-don't-care-about-format-discussions-or-the-state-of-the-industry music buy of the Spring, for me.  I'm still a kid mowing yards so I can buy cassettes at Musicland.