Saturday, March 30, 2019

OLD TIME RELIJUN: SEE NOW AND KNOW


This was one of my birthday presents--the new Old Time Relijun LP, See Now and Know, which I like on the basis of Arrington de Dionyso's amazing artwork on the cover alone.  

It has a trancy, loose, spontaneous, post-punk feel.  That term is always suspect, as it can mean so many things, but in this case I mean clean, stabby staccato guitar, skronky horn, an off-kilter dance band vibe, yelping spontaneous vocality, and a special spiritual vibe that, if you are present to it, will turn your earbuds or record room or Kia Sol into a  temple of gut-chakra vitality. 

My personal record collection references would include Universal Congress Of, Tupelo Chain Sex, Captain Beefheart, Pere Ubu, and The Voidoids, but I think there is something backwoods-hairy and deeply worldly going on here that positions it someplace weirder than all that, and not for the faint of heart.

They are at miniBAR in KCMO on 5/14/19.